<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Harry Reid: Racist



Noam Scheiber: WHERE WAS HARRY REID GOING WITH THIS?. (Via Instapundit).

From Meet The Press:

MR. RUSSERT: Why couldn't you accept Clarence Thomas?

SEN. REID: I think that he has been an embarrassment to the Supreme Court. I think that his opinions are poorly written. I don't--I just don't think that he's done a good job as a Supreme Court justice.


So, if I'm understanding Reid correctly, Scalia would be okay because, even though he's really conservative, he's also really smart. Thomas is objectionable because he's both really conservative and really dumb. Since Reid doesn't provide any evidence for his low opinion of Thomas, it sounds to me like he's thoughtlessly embracing the increasingly untenable view that Thomas is an affirmative action case utterly incapable of the kind of deep (or independent) thoughts Supreme Court justices are supposed to think, which has more than a slight whiff of racism.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?